The purpose of this document is to provide guidance to MBL staff who are designated as organizational points of contact (POC) with approved visitors to the campus. As we expand on-campus operations and activities at the MBL, we expect all visitors to abide by MBL health policies and protocols. This guidance provides an outline of the key processes and protocols to ensure precautionary measures are taken to help us to achieve our goal of providing a safe environment for our entire campus community.
1. MBL faculty who are planning to collaborate with visitors in the lab should continue to invite their collaborators through the Whitman Associates process as each collaborator needs to be incorporated into the Return to Research Protocols.
2. Human Resources is responsible for making sure candidates for faculty or staff positions complete the form.
3. Communications (email@example.com) should be notified of all media/press visit requests and will take responsibility for ensuring the visitor completes the form.
The MBL Point of Contact (POC) is required to send visitors the link to the Visitors to the MBL landing page to ensure they read MBL’s health policies and protocols and that they complete the appropriate visitation form. Note: there is one form for vendors/contractors and another for all other visitors.
MBL Point of Contact (POC) Responsibilities
- Send the link to the main landing page to your visitor and not just the form page because we need all visitors to read MBL’s health policies and protocols.
- For vendor/contractors, the POC should inform them as to which of the three “Departments” they should select on the form: 1) Research & Research Services (Rowe, Starr, and Lillie Labs and MRC, CMF, ACF); 2) Education (Loeb); or 3) Administration (all other buildings)
- The MBL POC is accountable for ensuring the visitor completes the information on the Visitation Form (who/what/when/where) and then makes sure the individual(s) are provided access and are reminded about and follow MBL rules. MBL POC’s for vendor/contractor visitors does not need to follow the vendor or contractor around, but rather periodically check in on them. While a manager or PI can delegate the actual business of being the POC to a staff member, the manager or PI is accountable for the visitor’s visit.
Form Submission Alerts and Communication Chain for Visit
Once the form is completed by the visitor, an automated email will be sent to the visitor, the MBL POC, and an MBL Department Lead(s). The MBL departmental leads are as follows:
For Vendor/Contractor Visitors:
- Research and Research Services
(Central Microscopy Facility, Marine Resources Center, Animal Care & Zebrafish Facilities, Rowe, Starr, and Lillie Labs)
David Mark Welch and Dana Mock-Munoz de Luna
Chris Cepero, David Mark Welch, and Dana Mock-Munoz de Luna
(Facilities, Swope Center, Cottages, IT, Campus Facilities, etc.)
For Other Visitors:
Sebastien Laye, Chief Advancement Officer
Sebastien Laye, Chief Advancement Officer
- Director’s Office
Alison Crawford, Chief of Staff
- Division of Research
David Mark Welch, Director of the Division of Research
- Education Department
Linda Hyman, Burroughs Wellcome Fund Director of Education
- Human Resources
Ann Egan, Director of Human Resources
Upon receiving the automated email alert for a visit, the MBL POC is responsible for meeting the visitor on campus, reminding them to wear their mask in buildings, and to check-in if needed.
The MBL Department Lead(s) are responsible for alerting anyone who is located in relevant building(s) that a visitor will be visiting, even if the visitor is will only be in one space (for example in a lab). We are using a common set of folks to send the communication alerts because they will have the best picture of who is in that building while the actual POC may not.
Master Spreadsheet of Vendor or Contractor Visitors
Data contained in the completed vendor/contractor forms will be automatically logged into a master spreadsheet. An abbreviated version of the spreadsheet will be posted on the MBL Intranet for all employees to access. A link to the abbreviated spreadsheet will be shared in the Weekly Catch employee newsletter.